Green Means Go!
Lanter Delivery Systems and Environmental Responsibilty
- Lanter Delivery Systems strongly believes that we must all work to reduce greenhouse gasses and pollutants in our environment.
- At 10,000 deliveries per weeknight, freight traveling through the LDS system is a significant portion of national traffic causing emissions of pollutants.
- LDS recognizes both the responsibility and the opportunity of controlling millions of miles of truck traffic.
- LDS is committed to using all tools available to minimize emissions and other pollutants related to our business.
Lanter Delivery Systems’ business model was designed to be environmentally friendly!
- We drive at night, which means:
- Improved average speed during congestion-free overnight travel.
- Reduced travel time
- Reduced engine idle time
- Reduced emissions
- Improved average speed also improves the dispersal of pollutants, reducing air quality health effects near roads.
- Nighttime travel reduces air quality burden during the parts of the day with the heaviest traffic.
- All routes optimized to minimize travel time and emissions.
Over time, Lanter Delivery Systems has initiated many changes to improve our environmental performance.
- Joined SmartWay as a Logistics Partner, and have improved scores annually.
- Continuous improvement in routing efficiency.
- Developed recycling programs for all locations.
- Included environmental record in criteria for trucking vendors.
Lanter Delivery Systems has an owner-down commitment to continuously improving our Green performance.
Here are some of our current/recent Green Activities:
- Equipment – we established partnerships with truck leasing companies to facilitate earlier replacement of older, less fuel-efficient, higher-emissions trucks. The average age of equipment running Lanter routes has decreased by 15%.
- Forklifts – we are in the midst of a 100% changeover from gas/propane forklifts to electric forklifts, greatly improving inside air quality for our people.
- Facilities – we are evaluating all facilities for green changes, such as installation of LED lighting , enhanced insulation, etc.
- Standard Processes – LDS has developed and published SOPs designed to reduce emissions at all docks. For example, all trucks are to be turned off while loading/unloading.
- Green Route Optimization – we constantly re-evaluate our network to find delivery efficiencies. So far during 2017, we eliminated nearly 1 million miles from our delivery routes on an annualized basis.
LDS is all about Continuous Improvement. We have plans in motion for these upcoming Green Projects:
- Requiring all Dedicated Carrier Partners to join and participate in the EPA’s SmartWay programs. LDS will provide assistance and education to carriers.
- Facilities – we are evaluating all facilities for green changes such as installations of LED lighting, enhanced insulation, etc.
- Waste Management – LDS is working to establish a national all-stream recycling vendor.
- Equipment – working with carriers and equipment lessons to encourage & facilitate selection of truck specifications improving fuel efficiency and reducing emissions.
- Lanter Delivery Systems operates a network and system designed to be environmentally responsible.
- We have invested in relationships and processes to improve our environmental performance over the years.
- We are currently working on additional initiatives which will result in substantial decreases of emissions and other pollutants.
- We are always searching for the next big-impact project to improve our environmental performance.
Bottom Line: You can trust Lanter Delivery Systems to deliver your freight at the lowest possible environmental cost!